Copyright is the exclusive and assignable legal right, given to the originator for a ﬁxed number of years, to print, publish, perform, ﬁlm, or record literary, artistic, or musical material.
Beneﬁts of Registering Copyright:
1) It ensures certain minimum safeguards of the rights of authors.
2) It establishes a public record of the copyright holder’s ownership.
3) It provides legal evidence of ownership.
4) It helps, a copyright holder to bring a lawsuit for copyright infringement.
5) Without the copyright registration, only an award related to actual damages and proﬁts will be made available in case of litigation.
6) It permits the copyright owner to record the registration with Indian Customs to help in protection against the importation of infringing copies into India.
7) Owner can sell or pass on the rights of the work to the other person with copyright protection.
8) Copyright is permanent in nature and will exist for life time of the creator plus 60 years after death of creator. The validity of copyright registration will lifelong and after 60 years after death of creator it will be open to general public to imitate or reproduce the content freely.
List of documents required for Copyright Registration:
1) 2 Copies of work
2) DD/IPO of Rs. (as applicable) per work
3) NOC from author if applicant is diﬀerent from author.
4) NOC from publisher if work published and publisher is diﬀerent from applicant.
5) Search Certiﬁcate from Trade Mark Oﬃce (TM -60) if the work is being used on goods or capable of being used on the goods.
6) NOC from person whose photograph appears on the work.
7) If the application is being ﬁled through attorney, a speciﬁc Power of Attorney in original duly signed by the applicant and accepted by the attorney.